Arrangements for Winter 2018-2019
We will always do everything possible to keep the school open throughout the winter without compromising the safety of your children
Snow Day Information
- If the school is going to close first thing in the morning we will post this information on our website and Facebook page. Parents are asked to avoid calling the school as staff will be busy and cannot answer. Also, calling the school blocks the lines for staff to report in or essential calls to be made. We would ask parents to email rather than phone if possibe.
- If conditions deteriorate during a school day a decision may be made to close the school early. An email and Facebook post will always be sent to parents to inform them of any changes.
- Closed schools will be announced on the local radio stations and listed on the DCC website
- If you do not hear from the school then assume it is a normal day and we are OPEN
Parents should not take any unnecessary risks in trying to get their children to school.
Please note that school transport may be cancelled but you will be informed directly.
Criteria we consider before closing the school.
- Can parents, pupils and staff access the school building safely?
- Are pedestrian routes in to school safe and accessible- has grit been applied?
- Can pupils and staff be evacuated in an emergency?
- In an emergency, could the Emergency Services access the school?
- Have local weather forecasts and road conditions, including those for areas from which staff will be travelling, been considered?
- Are there any areas within the school locality particularly impassable or dangerous in times of extreme bad weather?
- Are there any Met Office warnings available?
- Can the school premises be heated?
- Is there provision of water for sanitary use or drinking?
- Can enough Teaching Staff and Classroom Assistants attend school to ensure the adequate supervision of pupils?
- Is the severe weather likely to clear quickly and allow safe access to the school building?
Thank you for your patience.